Old habits are hard to break. As a teacher of social studies, I often looked for videos that would spark interest in the students and start conversations in relation to the course content. This video can prompt a discussion in almost any classroom setting our course discipline, here are my ideas for lessons below:
- Science: Astronomy/Physics terms are mentioned...what is an AU? Orbit? Radio Waves?
- Social Studies: What are impacts of scientific research discussion, various forms of communication throughout history. Exploration, why are we looking at distant frontiers?
- Math: Example problem, If it takes 7 minutes for a radio signal to go from Earth to Mars (225 Million Km), how long would it take to send a signal from Neptune to Earth? Conversion equations, convert AUs to Kms when 1 astronomical unit = 149,598,000 kilometers.
- English: Our Future in Space, lesson plan; How has science fiction of the past viewed the future?
- Business: Career Lesson plan What is it like to be an astronaut? ,
- Music: Sounds Lesson Plan: Journey Into Space: Exploring Sound Sources, The Astronaut's Playlist, What does space sound like?
- Art: Space themed crafts, 2001: A Space Odyssey Recreating the Stargate Space travel sequence.
- Industrial Arts: Drafting/Designing a Space Capsule, Transistor Radio Wiring Kit
- Physical Education/Health: Astronaut physical training tests